The Board of Directors is the governing body of the MSHSL and consists of 20 representatives from a variety of regions and organizations. Board members serve a four-year term.
- Four representatives elected from Class A Regions
- Four representatives elected from Class AA Regions
- Two representatives appointed by Minnesota School Board Assocation (MSBA)
- Two representatives appointed by Minnesota Assocation of Secondary School Principals (MASSP)
- Four activity representatives elected to represent: Boys Sports, Girls Sports, Music, and Speech
- Four public representatives appointed by the Governor
Each board member serves on a committee appointed by the President and approved by the Board of Directors. There are five Board Committees: Executive, Audit/Finance, Eligibility, Marketing and Communications, and Education and Leadership.