Minnesota State High School League member schools are classified by sport and activity for postseason competition and performances every two years. Competitive section placements are determined by enrollment and geography (as determined by MSHSL Board policy), with a balanced number of schools in each section at the time of placement. The Board of Directors reviews and approves classifications and competitive section placements for postseason play in MSHSL-sponsored sports and fine arts activities every two years.
MSHSL enrollment is determined by the schools Minnesota Department of Education enrollment in year one in grades 9 – 12 minus 40 percent of their educational benefit. (free and reduced lunch)
The class member schools are placed to perform and compete during the postseason. A member school’s MSHSL enrollment determines classification. Schools have the option to both appeal, if they qualify, down in team sports and or opt up every two years. Classification is determined on odd-numbered years every two years.
Competitive Section Placement:
Member schools are placed by enrollment and geographic location in sports and activities where they compete for postseason play. This is determined every two years, like classification.
- Select an activity
- Once an activity is selected, the following filters are available: year, school, section, class, and a button to show cooperative sponsored teams.
- The number on the map pin indicates the classification.
- The section list to the left of the map indicates the number of teams in each section.
- By selecting the “Show Coop Teams”, the map will display the additional schools indicated by the arrows that begin at the host school and point to each school in the coop
- The following filters are available: activity, year, school, section, and class.
- Click on the ‘+’ sign to expand a section to see the schools
- Activities menu displays schools registered in that activity
- The School menu displays the competitive sections for registered activities.