Board of Directors approves credit for membership dues
Posted: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 - 5:13 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, August 3, 2021
SPICER, Minn. --- The Minnesota State High School League’s Board of Directors today approved a credit to the 2021-2022 invoices of member schools that total approximately $1.063 million. The approval was made during the board’s first meeting of the school year, which was held at the Little Crow Conference Center. The approval is effective immediately.
Based on the board policy formula for earmarking reserves, 60 percent of the $1.063 million will be used to reduce school’s activity registration fees from $225 to $160 for each registered activity. The remaining 40 percent will be used to reduce the MSHSL enrollment fee per participant from $6.35 to $4.60.
“The Board of Directors met and approved a 2021-2022 Budget Adjustment, and consequently, approved a reduction of membership dues for the 2021-2022 school year,” said board president Tom Jerome, the superintendent of schools in Roseau. “This is terrific news for our member schools and we look forward to an exciting year filled with opportunities and growth for our students, member schools and all others associated with the Minnesota State High School League.”
The surplus was created when revenue items during the 2020-2021 school year generated income higher than expected. Those sources included forgiveness on a Paycheck Protection Program loan, attendance at winter and spring tournaments, sponsorships, and events televised by the League’s broadcast and streaming partners. In addition, extensive cost-saving measures were implemented by League Staff throughout the year.
In other board action, the Board:
· Approved a resolution in Appreciation and Recognition for Service and Dedication to former MSHSL Board of Directors Mike Domin, Kirby Ekstrom, Blaine Novak, Todd Waterbury and Frank White.
· Approved the contract of League Lobbyist Roger Aronson through July 31, 2023.
· Approved the following publications:
o Board Policy Manual and Guidelines
o Media Policy Manual
o Official Handbook
o Officials Policy Manual
o Region Secretaries Manual
· Approved a motion for the state meet/state tournament format for Boys and Girls Cross Country and Boys and Girls Soccer. Both activities are adding a class beginning in the fall of 2021. Cross country will have three classes and run six races on Saturday, Nov. 6. Soccer will have semifinals and championships in three classes at U.S. Bank Stadium. Third-place games will be played at a venue to be determined. Discussion will continue on a state tournament format for girls volleyball, which is adding a fourth class, and Nordic Skiing, which is adding a sprint race to its meet.
· Approved the football state tournament quarterfinal and semifinal pairings from 2021 through 2026.
· Approved a motion that directed League Staff to do more exploration and provide a recommendation on Transfer and Eligibility during COVID to the Executive Committee at the next Executive Committee Meeting next week.
· Approved the final disbursement of $90,000 from the MSHSL Foundation transfer to the 16 Regions.
· Approved the wide-reaching insurance coverage of $760,840 for the school year inclusive of Catastrophic Health Insurance and Concussion Insurance for all student participants.
The Minnesota State High School League: Education and Leadership for a Lifetime