Boys Swimming and Diving State Meet: Advance Release
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2023 - 8:46 AM
Longtime defending team champions will look to add to their rich tradition of success when the Minnesota State High School League’s Boys Swimming and Diving State Meet this week. Breck/Blake returns as the six-time defending champion in Class A while Edina is looking for its fifth consecutive crown in Class AA.
This year’s state meet is scheduled for March 2-4 at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center on the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis. Diving preliminaries are on Thursday followed by the swimming preliminaries on Friday. Championships will be held on Saturday.
Here is a snapshot of the Class A meet:
- Sophomore Henry Webb of Breck/Blake returns to defend his title in the 100 freestyle. His teammate, senior Jack Ford-Schurtz, has the fastest qualifying time of 45.94 seconds.
- Breck/Blake will also defend its titles in all three relays. Breck/Blake has the best qualifying times in each race: 1:37.37 in the 200 medley relay; 1:26.65 in the 200 freestyle relay and 3:08.05 in the 400 freestyle relay.
- Hutchinson junior Conner Hogan is the final returning champion. He has the fastest qualifying time in the 100 butterfly a 51.16.
Here is a look at the Class AA meet:
- Edina swept the relays in 2022 and returns a team to all three races this year. Eden Prairie has the best qualifying time in both the 200 medley relay (1:32.5) and 400 freestyle relay (3:07.72). Minnetonka owns the fastest time in the 200 freestyle relay (1:26.05).
- Duluth East senior Grant Wodny will defend his titles in both the 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle. Freshman Micah Davis of St. Cloud Tech/Cathedral/Rocori/Becker enters the 200 freestyle with the best qualifying time of 1:39.56 and sophomore Jiarui Xue of Edina comes into the 500 freestyle with the fastest qualifying time of 4:34.74.
- Rosemount sophomore Lucas Gerten is hoping to defend his title in 1-meter diving. In 2022, he won with a score of 419.40 points.
- Eden Prairie senior Luke Logue is looking for another title in the 100 backstroke. He has this year’s best qualifying time of 49.65.
For additional information on this year’s state meet, please visit www.mshsl.org/boysswimanddive.