Championship Saturday:Southwest Christian 3 St. Paul Humboldt/Open World 01 Class A Girls Soccer Championship
Posted: Saturday, November 6, 2021 - 10:07 PM
Southwest Christian and St. Paul Humboldt were each chasing their own piece of history late Saturday night at U.S. Bank Stadium when they played one another for the Class A Boys Soccer state championship.
Southwest Christian, the top-seed in the field, was looking for the first boys team state championship for the Chaska-based school. The school’s volleyball team won a Class A crown in 2012 and the soccer team was attempting to match that feat. While St. Paul Humboldt has secured a combined 16 state championships in the co-educational Adapted Athletics programs, the West Side school hadn’t won a state championship since the boys basketball team claimed the title in 1949.
It was Southwest Christian that secured their slice of school history with a 3-0 victory with three second-half goals in a 10-minute span. Senior forward Jon Brain had two of the goals while senior defender Camden Mellema had two assists to spark the Stars (16-3-3) during a championship match that featured open play, but a timely defense that led to few shots. Southwest Christian had the only shot on goal in the first half as each team played mostly in the midfield. The Stars finished with five shots on goal and St. Paul Humboldt had two.
Brain broke through in the 58th minute after a long throw-in by Mellema landed at his feet and he tapped it past St. Paul Humboldt junior goalkeeper Mu Tu Has Lah. While the end to the deadlock appeared to stun both teams, it injected the Stars with offensive confidence. Seven minutes later, junior midfielder Sam Widdifield doubled the lead after taking a long volley from teammate Jake Bettin, a sophomore forward, and slipping it into the goal. In the 68th minute, Brain scored after another long throw-in.
St. Paul Humboldt had an opportunity to score with 7:50 remaining regulation on a penalty kick, but Southwest Christian's senior goalkeeper made a diving save.
- Zachary Plante, St. Cloud Cathedral, F
- Zach Schnabel, Proctor, MF
- Camel Htoo, St. Paul Washington, F
- Aldrus Mohamed, Metro College Prep, F
- Mark Quintero, Pine Island/Zumbrota-Mazeppa, MF
- Jason Ryan, Pine Island/Zumbrota-Mazeppa, GK
- McKaid Schotzko, Rochester Lourdes, D
- Jonah Morris, Rochester Lourdes, D
- Ar Ri Shae, St. Paul Humboldt, D
- Hser P Htoo, St. Paul Humboldt, MF
- Saw Say Tha, St. Paul Humboldt, F
- Eh Thaw Too Maung, St. Paul Humboldt, D
- Sam Widdifield, Southwest Christian, MF
- Jake Bettin, Southwest Christian, F
- Adam Tebbs, Southwest Christian, GK
- Jon Brain, Southwest Christian, F