Football Quarterfinals --- Day 2 Recap
Posted: Friday, November 12, 2021 - 10:35 PM
On the second day of the Minnesota State High School League’s quarterfinal round of the football state tournament, nine more teams earned berths to the semifinals and a trip to U.S. Bank Stadium in downtown Minneapolis.
The semifinals in the seven enrollment classes are next Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Winners from those 14 games advance to the two-day Prep Bowl on Nov. 26 and 27.
Here is a look at Friday’s quarterfinals:
· Class Nine-Man at Marshall --- Hills-Beaver Creek 30, Renville County West 7
· Class Nine-Man at Moorhead --- Kittson County Central 39, Ogilvie 20
· Class A at Crown College --- Rushford-Peterson 18, Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa 6
· Class A at Monticello --- Minneota 34, Mahnomen/Waubun 0
· Class A at Jordan --- Mayer Lutheran 34, Murray County Central 8
· Class A at Brainerd --- New York Mills 20, Deer River 6
· Class AA at Hastings --- Maple River 39, Pipestone Area 20
· Class AAAAAA at Chanhassen --- Eden Prairie 17, Farmington 7
· Class AAAAAA at Stillwater --- Lakeville South 42, Shakopee 28
· Lakeville South senior quarterback Cam Dean accounted for four Cougars’ touchdowns, three through the air and one rushing.
· Deer River senior running back Joe Herfindahl had a 99-yard touchdown run the Warriors’ loss to New York Mills.
· Rushford-Peterson senior quarterback Malachi Bunke and senior wide receiver Justin Ruberg connected on three touchdown passes in the Trojans’ victory.
· Senior kicker Cole Nelson made a 42-yard field goal in the second half and tacked on two extra point-conversions in Eden Prairie’s 17-7 victory over Farmington.