Girls Gymnastics: State Meet Advance
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2023 - 3:36 PM
For the first time in 42 years, Anoka (Class AA) will have a team competing at the Gymnastics State Meet. The Tornados made their last appearance in 1981, finishing in sixth place. They made one additional appearance in 1980, placing fifth.
Junior Sydney West and senior Annie Hjelle will also represent Anoka in the individual tournament.
This year’s state meet is scheduled for February 24-25 at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in St. Paul. Teams will compete on Friday and the individual competition will take place on Saturday.
Here is a snapshot of the meet:
- The Watertown-Mayer/Mound Westonka Royals return as the two-time defending champions in Class A.
- A new team champion will emerge in Class AA. Wayzata, which won in 2022, placed second to Hopkins in this year’s 6AA section meet.
- Senior Reagan Kelly of Watertown-Mayer/Mound Westonka is looking to defend her Class A all-around and balance beam titles this year.
- Taylar Schaefer, a senior from St. Cloud, returns to the all-around competition in Class AA. Schaefer won the all-around, floor exercise, balance beam and vault at the 2022 state meet and swept all five individual events at this year’s 8AA section meet.
- Mahtomedi (Class A) leads all schools in state meet appearances. The Zephyrs are making their second consecutive appearance and 32nd overall. New Prague is making its third consecutive appearance in Class AA and 21st overall.
For additional information on this year’s state meet, please visit www.mshsl.org/gymnastics.